Saturday, September 28, 2013

September18, 2013, Independence

Dear Family,

     Ok,  so I love Elder J Luening's term “Miracle Fence”, because, that's right,….. definitely blew threw one this week!J Last week we had a lot of dropped appointments, and then I took two days off of my foot, but it was all in preparation for this week! My foot is back to 100% function after the two days I took off of it, woohoo!
     Sister A and I went on exchanges and it was awesome. My companion for the day on Monday was Sister L, she is so awesome! We went out into our area and all the people we planned to just drop in and see weren't home. After about the third planned person not being home, I was like, “OK, let’s knock a door”. I looked around and a door stood out to me, so I told Sister L., “Let’s try that one”. She agreed. Well that was definitely the Holy Ghost making that door stand out, because a lady in her 40's answered. She had hurt her ankle and so was hobbling around. We talked to her for a few moments relating injury stories and found out she was Baptist. Then sister L and I told her who we were as missionaries. As I began to tell her about the restored Gospel and about the pattern of prophets and that God does call prophets in every dispensation, I stopped and asked her what it would mean to her to know there was a prophet on the earth today. She paused, Sister L followed up with saying, “You probably haven't really wondered that before." Cindy (the lady), said she actually had wondered if there could be a prophet on the earth today. I testified that there is a prophet and that the message we have to share can help her know for herself that there is. We gave her a Restoration pamphlet and set up a return appointment. Leaving her house Sister Lettig and I were stunned. We were filled with gratitude and walked a few houses up and stood in the street and said a prayer of gratitude. Out of the two hours we had spent in the area, C was the only one who had been home. We were meant to find her, and I can't wait to teach her tonight.
     Also, things are going really well with our investigator J. He originally came into the Visitor Center and said he wanted to learn about the church because his less active girlfriend wants to get married in the temple. We have been very open and bold with him in helping him realize that the gospel of Jesus Christ is a lifestyle and he needs to be doing this for himself not for anyone else. We have been praying the last few weeks for him that he will develop real intent, and, well, he definitely has! We went over lesson one with him and he has started praying and believes that Joseph Smith is a prophet. On Monday night, Sister Allen and I taught him about The Plan of Salvation up to the Atonement. In our first meeting with him he had a lot of questions concerning the Plan of Salvation. As we were teaching him, I could see him getting excited that there really was a plan and purpose for him in his life. As we explained the atonement, he stopped us and asked how he can repent of his sins. My mind was exploding with happiness. Did he really just ask us how he can repent?!?! Oh my gosh, so then we explained what repentance means and the steps of repentance. We also invited him to read the Book of Mormon and invited him to church. We are hoping work won't interfere with him coming to church. His original baptismal date was for September 28th, but since he hasn't been able to come to church, we are going to need to move it up. It is so cool to see how much he has progressed over the last few weeks and how much he is beginning to realize what the gospel will do for him. I love missionary work and I love the spirit of conversion. Witnessing its power in other people's lives is an amazing privilege!!
     This week, I have really been trying to develop humility and gratitude. I have seen as I have strived to have more gratitude each day, that I have been able to witness the little miracles God blesses us with each day. Even just being able to share the message of the gospel with people for a brief moment is such a blessing to me. I feel so grateful for the people I am able to come in contact with. Ha-ha-ha, the other day Sister A and I were tracting and we went to an apartment complex. We knocked on about 10 doors and nobody answered. I just looked at her and told her, “Sister Allen we are not leaving until either someone answers the door and allows us to share a message or slams the door in our face”. I hope that is the kind of attitude I can have every day of my mission. Desiring every day to fulfill my purpose of inviting others come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.
     I'm so thankful for the gospel of Jesus Christ. I'm so thankful for the atonement and power it has to work miracles in our lives. It truly is there to help us overcome anything and everything that comes our way. In preach my gospel page 32, it says: "Our father's plan for us to be successful in this life and to return to live with Him is called the gospel of Jesus Christ, with Jesus' Atonement at the center of that plan". I am so thankful for the plan our Father in Heaven has for us. I'm thankful for how it is a perfect and complete plan. It is there for us to partake in. The Saviour says. "Come unto me"! It requires us to take steps toward him. He is there waiting for us, all we need to do is decide and then act! I love you all and I am so thankful for your examples. I pray for all of you and hope that the Lord is strengthening your conversions, that you are taking hold of the scriptures and truly feasting on them. There is so much to be learned from them and the application of their teachings into our lives is remarkable and creates the atmosphere of conversion to be able to continue throughout our lives. Have a great week!
Love Sister Luening!

P.S. Mom, it got really cold here this week. Could you send the box of my winter things you have at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment