Sunday, May 25, 2014

May 12, 2014, Liberty, Missouri

Dear Family!!

Holy Cow it was so AWESOME to see all of you!! I was really glad that we skyped at the end of the night, because I kind of went home afterwards in a daze, I guess trying to get in grips with the fact that I had actually just seen and talked to all of you :) It was great and I was glad to see that all of you are still as crazy, fun and hilarious as ever. I love our family!!

After skyping the Gale's cut a piece of cake for me, put a candle on it and then sang happy birthday. I was still kind of teary eyed from our skyping session, but it was wonderful. After the small celebration there we went to the Visitor Center where they also had a card and cake for me and once again sang Happy Birthday. :) Man, missionaries who serve in the Visitor Center or Liberty Jail really get spoiled! They made a cute birthday note for me using "Canadian Bacon" and "Canada Dry" Ginger Ale. Speaking of Ale... Kass told me of the exciting cake experience this last weekend. Well mom, at least you got what you wanted right?! A traditional Black Forest Cake. Hahahaha!

Well, not too much new happened since I talked to you two days ago. But the reality of how fast the next few weeks are going to fly has hit me, since my companion reminded me that we have interviews with President Keyes tomorrow and then on Thursday Sister McDonnell gets to go up to Adam-Ondi-Ahman for half the day, which means I will be in Jail all day. But I must say I don't think anyone is as happy to be stuck in Jail as the Sisters here in the MIM (Missouri Independence Mission). It is such an amazing place! Then next week we have the mission wide temple day, so my P-day won't be until next Thursday. But time is flying!

Yesterday, Sister McDonnell and I had the opportunity to visit a less active lady. She attends church on and off. I think that was the best visit we have ever had with someone who is less active. She was very sweet and really open with us. She let us know what her concerns and struggles are and as we shared our own personal experiences with her, I could see a change in her. We asked her if she would allow us to come by weekly to help her overcome her concerns and help her strengthen her faith and testimony in the Gospel. She was delighted we asked and agreed to weekly visits. She also agreed to read over Alma 32 and said that she would love for us to come back and discuss it because she really doesn't know how she can go about strengthening and growing her faith. I know its going to be a long road for her, but I also know that the spirit will help her to slowly make changes in her life that will allow her to live in harmony with God's commandments and that it will bring great blessings into her life.

Well, that's about all that has happened. Today is P-day and so its nice to just have a day where you can relax. I got lots of emails this week, so thanks! I love you all so much and like I said on skype I really am so grateful for the opportunity I have to serve the Lord. It was funny, my companion was trying to make my birthday a big deal, but I just kept thinking about how I still didn't want the attention on myself. I just felt blessed to be alive serving the Lord! What greater way to spend a birthday than in the service of the Lord! I love you all and I am so grateful for all of your prayers and love. As much as I miss you, there is no place I would rather be than in the MIM, sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ that has blessed my life more than I even realize.

I love you all and I hope that you have a great week! Thanks for all the birthday wishes and for the German Birthday Song :) Oma thank-you for the online birthday card! I love you and pray for each of you daily :)

Love,

Sister Luening 

No comments:

Post a Comment